This home made cranberry sauce is a real crowd pleaser around the holidays. It is so much better than the canned variety and not difficult at all to prepare. It can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator over night.
12 ounces fresh cranberries
1 cup white sugar
1 cup orange juice
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice.
- Stir in the fresh cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and place sauce in bowl. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute ¾ cup white sugar and ¼ cup brown sugar for the 1 cup white sugar – this will deepen the color of the cranberry sauce
- Substitute ¾ cup orange juice and ¼ cup pomegranate juice for the 1 cup orange juice – this will also deepen the color of the cranberry sauce and complement the tartness
Yield: 8 servings