This is a colorful and filling recipe that is also good for you! Try it in the summer time, in the midst of tomato season, for a fresh change of pace.
6 medium tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
½ small green pepper, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup croutons
1 tsp. salt
Parsley sprigs or crisply cooked and crumbled bacon (for garnish, if desired)
- Remove stem ends from the tomatoes.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato to prevent tipping.
- Remove pulp from each tomato, leaving a ½ inch wall.
- Chop enough pulp to measure 1/3 cup.
- Mix tomato pulp, green pepper, croutons and salt.
- Fill the tomatoes with the tomato cheese mixture.
- Place filled tomatoes in ungreased rectangular baking dish 12” x 7 ½” x 2”
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven until tomatoes are heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish tops with parsley sprigs or crisply chopped and crumbled bacon if desired.
- Serve hot.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Use tomatoes that are not too ripe or else they will not hold up to the heat in the oven.
- Roughly chop the croutons so that they are not too big in the stuffing mixture.
- Consider adding an extra finely chopped small tomato to the stuffing mixture, so that the tomatoes are slightly over stuffed.
- I also added just a pinch of shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of the tomatoes, during the last 5 minutes of baking.
Yield: 6 servings (55 calories per serving)
Adapted From: Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, seventh printing, 1989 (Golden Press/NY, Western Publishing Company, Inc., Racing, WI).