Looking for an easy pasta primavera recipe? You found it! I went all the back to 1989 and found this recipe in “Betty Crocker’s Cookbook!” I like it because the presentation is colorful and the taste is fresh. Use of the wheel pasta also makes it unique and a great conversation starter.
1 cup chopped broccoli 1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chopped onion 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups hot cooked macaroni shells or wheels
1 carrot, cut into very thin strips 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil 2 Tbsp. snipped parsley
2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
- Cook and stir broccoli, onion garlic and carrot in 10-inch skillet over medium heat unto broccoli is crisp-tender, about ten minutes.
- Stir in chicken, salt and tomatoes, heat just until chicken is hot, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over macaroni, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Mix well.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute other vegetables for the carrot, if desired (ie: bell peppers, celery).
- Substitute your favorite macaroni for the shells or wheels, as long as it has surface area to hold the juices of the other ingredients.
- Substitute turkey for the chicken, to make this dish a bit more healthy.
Yield: approx. 6 servings (290 calories per serving)
Adapted From: Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, seventh printing, 1989 (Golden Press/NY, Western Publishing Company, Inc., Racing, WI).