This savory pie recipe really is impossibly easy. So easy, in fact, that it is one of the first recipes I tried from my 1989 Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have a soft spot in my heart for this recipe because it is the first meal I served after I moved into my very first apartment. I served it to my brother and his wife, with garlic bread and a tossed salad – yum! I found out later that it is also on the Bisquick® box!
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
½ cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt.
- Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Pour into pie plate.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool to set before serving warm.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I prefer ground beef that is at least 85% lean so that there is less grease in the finished pie.
- You can substitute leftover meatloaf or chili in place of the ground beef, onion and salt.
- For a twist, consider using spiced shredded cheese mixes (Italian, Mexican, etc) and then use related toppings on the pie after baking (peppers, onions, salsa, etc.).
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted From: Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, seventh printing, 1989 (Golden Press/NY, Western Publishing Company, Inc., Racing, WI).