Here’s a new twist on traditional stuffed peppers. Rather than using bread crumbs or rice, use lean ground beef and cheese to make a hearty and bubbly stuffed pepper.
4 Medium-large green bell peppers
1 pound 85% lean ground beef
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup tomato sauce
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, ricotta cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and half of the tomato sauce, until well combined.
- Slice tops off peppers and remove seeds and ribs.
- Select a baking dish that will hold the peppers snugly, pour remaining sauce in bottom of dish.
- Arrange peppers open side up in the dish.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Spray a large piece of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. Place sprayed side down over peppers.
- Bake covered 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 50 more minutes more or until meat is cooked through and cheese has browned.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- With a small knife, cut a few slits in the bottom of each pepper, to drain the liquid released by the beef as it cooks.
- Here are two ways to use the tops of the peppers, rather than discarding them:
- Chop up the non-stem parts of the pepper tops and include them in the stuffing mixture or
- Bake the tops and place them on top of the peppers at an angle when serving, for an interesting presentation.
Yield: 4 stuffed peppers
Adapted From: http://www.atkins.com