What a classic dessert! Fill your home with the scent of baking apples while this crisp bakes in your oven. You and your family are sure to enjoy this gooey and comforting American favorite!
4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
Ice cream (your favorite flavor)
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
- Spread apples in pan.
- In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except ice cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Self-rising flour can be used for this recipe.
- If desired, add your favorite kind of nuts for extra flavor and texture.
- Blueberry crisp alternative: use 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries for the apples.
- Both Macintosh and Granny Smith apples work well with this recipe.
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted From: http://www.bettycrocker.com