This Atkins chicken recipe is fresh and tasty. The lemons, feta cheese and kalamata olives lend a Greek twist to the same old chicken. Experiment with different kinds of olives and cheeses to make it your own.
4 medium lemons, thinly sliced
4 bone is chicken breast halves with skin on (about 3 pound total)
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1 Tsp. pepper
1 Tsp. chopped fresh mint
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
10 pitted kalamata olives, halved
4 oz. crumbled Feta cheese (about ¾ cup)
- Arrange rack in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Layer lemon slices on the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish; set aside.
- Press 2 garlic cloves through a garlic press.
- Gently run your fingers between chicken breast and the skin to loosen skin. Lift the skin from 1 breast and rub garlic between skin and breast. Repeat process with remaining chicken breasts and garlic cloves.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub into skin.
- Place chicken breasts over the lemon slices in prepared pan.
- Combine mint and oregano in a small bowl; evenly sprinkle over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle olives over chicken breasts.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until juices run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with feta. Bake 5 minutes more.
- Serve with pan juices.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- To ensure that chicken remains most, consider adding ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth to the baking dish.
- I decreased the number of olives the second time I made this recipe because 10 olives resulted in too strong a flavor for me.
Yield: 4 servings
Adapted From: http://www.atkins.com