Prime Rib is such a treat! You can trust your special dinner to this classic preparation. The initial high heat makes a delicious crust on the meat.
1 (10 pound) prime rib roast
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. dried thyme
- Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Spread the mixture over the fatty layer of the roast, and let the roast sit out until it is at room temperature, no longer than 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Bake the roast for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F, and continue roasting for an additional 60 to 75 minutes. The internal temperature of the roast should be at 135 degrees F for medium rare.
- Allow the roast to rest for 10 or 15 minutes before carving so the meat can retain its juices.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Make very small slits in the fatty side of the roast to allow the garlic mixture to absorb, for an even stronger garlic taste!
- Using a thermometer is a must for this recipe!
Yield: 15 servings
Adapted From: http://www.allrecipes.com