At only 200 calories per serving, this quick and easy soup will satisfy your hunger and your waistline! For even more flavor, you can add your favorite beans, potatoes, rice or pasta (but don’t forget to recalculate the calories!). Note: this recipe can in a very close second place in a Food Mingle Blog Poll about your favorite hot soup!
1 cup chopped onion
4 ½ tsp. finely chopped garlic
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. salt
1 lb. ground beef sirloin
2 ½ cups water
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
- In small bowl, mix all seasoning blend ingredients.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, cook beef and seasoning blend over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir remaining ingredients into Dutch oven with beef.
- Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- If you prefer, use only your favorite vegetables to total the 16 oz. required.
- If you add any starchy items (beans, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc), then also increase the amount of water so that the soup does not get too thick.
- Switch out the beef for chicken or turkey for a lighter soup!
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted From: http://www.bettycrocker.com