These versatile homemade cocktail meatballs can be used in a variety of your favorite sauces. The mix of beef and pork really give these meatballs a fabulous flavor and texture! They can be made ahead and frozen for later use.
1 lb. lean ground beef
½ pound ground pork
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ tsp. seasoned salt
½ tsp. ground mustard (optional)
1/8 tsp. pepper
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Spray jelly roll pan, 15 1/2×10 1/2×1 inch, with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs. Place in pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink in center and juice is clear.
- Cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use in your favorite sauce if desired.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- The original recipe calls for plain breadcrumbs, but I found that the seasoned bread crumbs enhance the flavor of the meatballs.
- I listed the ground mustard as optional because I prefer these meatballs without it, but you can make this to your own taste.
- Mix the mixture well, but don’t over-handle the meat; – prolonged mixing or rolling of the meatballs will make them very dense.
- Betty Crocker’s Tip: to easily divide the meat mixture, press it into a 10×6-inch rectangle, then cut it into 10 rows by 6 rows, and shape into meatballs.
Yield: 60 cocktail-size (1”) meatballs
Adapted From: http://www.bettycrocker.com