This classic mashed potatoes recipes can stand on its own or use it as a base for other variations.
2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium)
1/3 to ½ cup milk
¼ cup margarine or butter, softened
½ tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
Paprika and watercress (for garnish if desired)
- Prepare potatoes – wash, remove eyes, leave skins on, cut into large pieces.
- Boil potatoes – heat 1” salted water (1/2 tsp. salt to 1 cup water) to boiling. Add potatoes, cover and heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Boil until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Return potatoes to pan, shake pan gently over low heat to dry potatoes.
- Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Beat in milk in small amounts.
- Add margarine (or butter), salt and pepper, beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- To garnish, dot with margarine or sprinkle with paprika or chives, if desired.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Consider using white pepper to avoid the look of black specs in your mashed potatoes.
Yield: 10 servings
Adapted From: http://www.bettycrocker.com