How about trying a grain instead of potatoes? This Wild Rice and Mushroom dish is hearty and flavorful, and yet very easy to prepare!
1 cup wild rice
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. baby bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 13 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in cooked rice and remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- The original recipe called for button mushrooms, but I prefer the added flavor and texture of baby bella mushrooms. Use any combination of your favorite mushrooms.
- You can substitute a wild-rice blend for wild rice, but be sure to omit any seasoning packet.
- For a creamier result, you can add low salt chicken broth to the skillet.
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted From: http://www.marthastewart.com