I was very surprised to see (and taste) that this salad gets its sweet flavor from honey instead of sugar. This natural ingredient gives a basic bean salad a tasty new twist.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can wax beans, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimientos, drained
- In a medium bowl, combine the first six ingredients; mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 6 hours.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I used red onion instead of white onion, to add some color to this dish. When substituting red onion for white onion, use a little less because the flavor of the red onion is stronger.
- Be sure to drain the beans very well, to avoid having too much liquid in the dish. I drained some of the liquid before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Adapted From: http://www.recipes.bushbeans.com