My co-worker, Jan, tried this “no-mayo” coleslaw recipe for an office pot-luck luncheon and it was a hit! I tried making it myself and I’m glad I did. I never really liked coleslaw because I’m not a mayo fan, but this oil and vinegar version is such a great alternative, now I’m a coleslaw believer – thanks, Jan!
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix1 (16 ounce) package broccoli slaw mix
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Whisk vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, grated onion, dry mustard, and salt in a bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Toss coleslaw mixes, peas, peanuts, and poppy seeds together in a large salad bowl until thoroughly combined; pour dressing over coleslaw and stir to coat.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute or add your favorite nuts, if desired. (ie: honey roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds).
- Substitute or add red cabbage slaw, if desired (for color)
Yield: 20 servings
Adapted From: http://www.allrecipes.com