Here’s the answer to the question of what to do with that leftover white rice from last night’s take out! Make a creamy, rice dessert – rice pudding! Before trying this recipe, I never had eaten rice pudding. I wish I didn’t wait so long to try it because it is a satisfying and sweet dessert!
3 cups white rice, cooked
3 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- Combine cooked rice, milk, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add raisins and vanilla.
- Cook for 25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Spoon pudding into a serving dish and dust with remaining cinnamon.
- May serve chilled or at room temperature.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Be careful not to overcook the rice, as it can easily stick to the bottom of the pan
Yield: 4-6 servings
Adapted From: http://www.foodnetwork.com (Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence, Show: Food 911, Episode: Rice is Nice