Sweet sausage, crisp peppers and carmelized onions – it must be time for a classic sausage sandwich! Enjoy this tasty treat any time of year, but especially when the peppers are at their peak from July through October.
Compared to green peppers, red ones have three times as much vitamin C and 11 times as much beta carotene, so be sure to include both the red and green peppers n this dish. You’ll not only add color, but you’ll add nutrition as well!
6 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage
2 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup white wine
- Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Stir in the yellow onion, red onion, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in red bell pepper and green bell pepper.
- Season with basil, and oregano.
- Stir in white wine.
- Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender.
- Return sausages to skillet with the vegetables.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Once the sausage is cooked, you can serve if whole for sandwiches (as pictured above) or you can slice it and serve it tossed with the peppers and onions.
- If you prefer, you can grill the sausage and then combine it with the pepper and onion mixture.
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted From: http://www.allrecipes.com