Ok folks, this one is a keeper for sure! I had looked at this recipe for quite some time, and finally I made it. I’m glad I did! This cheesy bread is light and fluffy, but still full of great flavors. The cheese and peppers almost make this like a pizza bread, but with a more delicate texture. You won’t be sorry you tried this!
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 1 cup milk
¾ cup cornmeal ¼ cup vegetable oil
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced 1 egg
4 tsp. sugar 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tsp. baking powder ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
¼ tsp. salt 2 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, green onions, sugar, baking powder, Italian seasoning and salt in large bowl.
- Combine milk, oil and egg in a small bowl, and add to the cornmeal mixture; mix just until moistened.
- Spread evenly in prepared dish.
- Combine cheese, bell peppers and bacon in medium bowl and sprinkle evenly over cornmeal mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- In an attempt to make this a bit healthier, I substituted turkey bacon for the bacon. Sadly, the turkey bacon does not crisp us a nicely as the regular bacon, and the taste is much less rich. I’ll let you make your own call, but next time I will use classic bacon!
Yield: approximately 15 appetizers.
Adapted From: “The Appetizer Bible,” Publications International, Limited, 2006.