Exciting news here on Food Mingle Blog – we have our first guest blogger! Please help me welcome my good friend Andrea, who has so graciously contributed the recipe below. Andrea loves to cook and we often compare recipes and share kitchen tips and tricks. Tell me what you think of this recipe:
This is a phenomenal summer salad with an Asian twist.
If you are looking for something different and interesting for your next summer cookout, this is perfect!
16 oz green beans, trimmed, whole
1 medium mango, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce
Juice of 1 lime (1-2 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbs.p sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Herb Blend
1 tsp Siriacha Hot Chili Sauce
- Cook green beans in boiling water until cooked through but still crunchy.
- Drain and cool (a cold water bath works well to cool them quickly)
- Combine mango, red pepper, onion, and cilantro in a medium bowl; set aside
- Make Sauce: Whisk together fish sauce, lime juice, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, garlic, herb blend and chili sauce in a small bowl.
- Add sauce to mango mixture and toss gently.
- Add beans and toss.
- Serve at room temperature.
Food Mingle Blog Alternative and Substitutions:
- I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil
- Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce Siriacha Hot Chili Sauce can be purchased in the International Foods aisle at most grocery stores.
- Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Herb Blend can be purchased in the produce section at most grocery stores and is packaged in a squeeze tube.
- Find out more about mangoes here.
Yield: 8 cups
Nutrition Information per 4 oz Serving: 170 calories, 33 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 3 g protein, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat) 0 mg cholesterol, and 770 mg sodium.
Source: adapted from a recipe published on wegmans.com and in the Wegmans Food Markets Menu Magazine: Summer 2013, Summer 2008.