I planned on making this recipe 4 times – yes, 4 times – really! However, each time I bought the almonds, I ended up snacking on them before I got a chance to make the recipe! Well, that certainly got to be quite expensive. So, this fourth time, I made the recipe as soon as I got home from the supermarket with the almonds!
Try these spiced almonds either as a snack on their own, or over salads, yogurt or ice cream!
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer the toasted almonds to a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Stir the spices into the oil and cook, stirring until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Add the almonds and cook, stirring frequently, until the nuts are warm and the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the hot pepper sauce and stir to distribute.
- Remove the almonds from the pan and allow them to cool before serving.
- If you aren’t a fan of hot pepper sauce, then consider substituting paprika instead, for a smoky flavor
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger, 2005, SHOW: Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger , EPISODE: Out of Exile