Lima beans aren’t the first vegetable I think of for a side dish. However, they make a great alternative to the standard broccoli or green beans. Mix them with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and a pinch of red pepper flakes, and you have yourself a simple, yet tasty, hearty and colorful veggie to accompany your dinner.
3 garlic cloves, sliced
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 box or pkg (10 oz.) thawed frozen lima beans
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
10 leaves fresh basil, torn
splash white wine vinegar
shaved Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Toast the sliced garlic cloves and a pinch of red pepper flakes in a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add salt.
- Stir in thawed frozen lima beans; cook about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat
- Add cherry tomatoes, basil and a splash of white wine vinegar.
- Drizzle with olive oil and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- In a pinch, you can use canned, diced tomatoes (although fresh is always best!)
Yield: 4 servings