My mother loved lentil soup – she used to make it all the time! I never really gave it a chance because I couldn’t get past the brown/green color! However, I recently bought some red lentils and thought that I’d revisit lentil soup. This hearty and flavorful soup is perfect for a rainy Fall day or chilly Winter afternoon.
Are you familiar with red lentils? I wasn’t until recently. With more of an orange color than red, these are the sweetest and nuttiest of the lentils. Also, because they can get mushy when cooked, they are often used to thicken soups. Give them a try!
2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 pound red lentils, rinsed
11 cups low-salt chicken broth
4 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices.
- Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils and mix to coat.
- Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- This recipe originally called for green/brown lentils and elbow macaroni. However, I substituted red lentils and penne pasta – use what you have on hand if it will work!
- I halved this recipe and it worked well.
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted from Source:www.cookingchanneltv.com