With the holidays just around the corner, I like to experiment with traditional Thanksgiving flavors. For this recipe, I get to use brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. The fancy flavors combine to transform this traditional party mix into a fun holiday snack. Serve this mix as an appetizer prior to your Thanksgiving meal or as an accompaniment to your football feast, with a cold adult beverage.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups Cinnamon Chex™ cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Chex™ cereal
8 oz pecans
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
- In small microwave-safe dish, microwave butter on high for about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in vanilla.
- In large microwavable bowl, mix all cereals and pecans.
- Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly distributed.
- Add sugar and spice mixture and stir until coated.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to brown, stirring every minute.
- Spread on wax paper or a cookie sheet to cool.
- Store in airtight container
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Be sure not to let the mixture burn. If it seems to be well heated at 4 minutes (instead of 5) then take it out.
- I added an extra Tbsp. of butter because the mixture seemed a bit dry to me after combining it all together.
Yield: 16 servings