I recently had some cream cheese left over from a recipe I posted previously, for BLT Roll-up Pinwheels, so I looked for a recipe to use it. I came across this recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting on marthastewart.com and thought that I would give it a try. I did some research online and found that you can freeze the frosting for use another time, as long as you package it in an air tight container. That’s what I did – can’t wait to use it on a carrot cake.
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese.
- Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended.
- Sift in confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until smooth.
- Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- after I finished this recipe, I tasted it and found it to be not quite as sweet as I like, so I added about 1/4 cup more sugar and beat it again until smooth – that did the trick.
Yield: approximately 2 cups