What better way to chase off a winter chill than with a creamy and decadent cup of hot chocolate? Well, you could add peppermint to it! This flavorful treat is a beverage and dessert all in one.
Although I am not a mint lover, I do have a special place in my heart for peppermint. Believe it or not, I grew up on a street called Peppermint Drive. Yes, it’s true. It was surrounded by Candy Lane and Spearmint Drive. It’s like I lived in a Candy Land game!
Did you know that peppermint oil is an essential oil? According to Wikipedia, peppermint is a hybrid mint and is a cross between watermint and spearmint, and is the oldest and most popular flavor of mint-flavored confectionery. Hence, it is often used to flavor both hot and cold beverages, such as this creamy hot chocolate.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 drops peppermint oil
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, milk, sugar, and salt and heat over medium-low heat.
- When the cream mixture just begins to steam, add the chopped chocolate, and stir, until melted.
- Stir in the peppermint oil.
- Divide the hot chocolate among mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Use a peppermint stick to add a festive garish.
- If you prefer a lighter version, use less heavy cream and more milk, or substitute light cream for heavy cream.
Yield: approximately 4 servings
Source: www.foodnetwork.com, recipes courtesy Jackie Riley. Also, http://www.wikipedia.com