Coarse salt and ground pepper
3/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
Olive oil, for baking sheet
1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 loaf (8 ounces) soft Italian bread
2 cups store-bought tomato sauce
8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread breadcrumbs in a pie plate or shallow bowl.
- Oil a rimmed baking sheet.
- Dip eggplant rounds in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs, turning to coat completely; transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake (without turning) until golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, split bread lengthwise, and place cut side up on another baking sheet; press gently in centers to create a well.
- Layer both halves with tomato sauce, eggplant, and cheese.
- Bake until cheese is browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Next time, I would recommend using fresh tomatoes – they have a much more fresh taste and better texture than tomato sauce.
- This sandwich needs more zing, so I made the bread into garlic bread before layering the eggplant onto it. You might also want to try added some sweet or hot peppers.
Yield: 4 serving