Amp up your brown bag lunch with this crunchy chicken (or turkey) salad sandwich. This fresh sandwich is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey.
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, (or turkey) shredded
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices bread
- Place chicken meat into a large bowl.
- Add celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to mix.
- Lay 4 slices bread on work surface.
- Divide salad evenly among them.
- Top with remaining bread.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- You can substitute turkey for the chicken, if desired.
- For the celery, you may substitute apple, fennel or radish
- for the onion, you may substitute 2 scallions or 1 large shallot
- I liked it best with the bread toasted and a few leaves of lettuce.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchen