Here’s a great vegetarian lunch option for those of us that brown bag our lunches. Canned artichoke hearts are versatile and good for you. Try pairing them with some provolone cheese, peppers and spinach to create a colorful and flavorful lunch. Don’t forget to add a dill pickle spear on the side.
1 can (15 ounces) artichoke hearts packed in water, well-drained
2 whole-wheat sandwich wraps (12-inch)
8 slices provolone cheese (4 ounces)
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into strips
1 cup baby spinach, packed
Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Wrap artichoke hearts in paper towels; squeeze out liquid and coarsely chop.
- Set sandwich wraps on work surface.
- Lay 4 cheese slices down center of each, leaving a 1-inch border at top and bottom.
- Dividing evenly between wraps, layer artichoke pieces, bell pepper, and spinach on top of cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in tops and bottoms of wraps by about 1 inch, then roll tightly from one of the open sides to enclose filling.Wrap tightly in plastic or waxed paper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to overnight.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute your favorite cheese if provolone isn’t your thing (but it did taste really good!)
- The secret here is squeezing out as much liquid as possible from the artichokes – you don’t want them to make your sandwich soggy.
- Martha recommended added some lemon juice to the sandwich, which I think is a great idea!
Yield: 2 servngs