If you are looking for a special treat for your Valentine (or for yourself or your friends), then consider chocolate covered strawberries. Chocolate covered anything is a treat. These chocolate covered strawberries, however, are a real treat! Using both semisweet chocolate and white chocolate, you get the best of both worlds.
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 pound strawberries with stems (about 20), washed and dried very well
- Put the semisweet and white chocolates into 2 separate heatproof medium bowls.
- Fill 2 medium saucepans with a couple of inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat; set the bowls of chocolate over the water to melt.
- Stir until smooth. (Alternatively, melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power, for 1 minute, stir and then heat for another minute or until melted.)
- Once the chocolates are melted and smooth, remove from the heat.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper.
- Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the dark chocolate, lift and twist slightly, letting any excess chocolate fall back into the bowl.
- Set strawberries on the parchment paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the strawberries.
- Dip a fork in the white chocolate and use it to drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries.
- Set the strawberries aside until the chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Be sure to eat these within one day of making them (or less) because the moisture in the strawberries may cause them to mold quickly.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts for a crunchy variation.
Yield: about 20 strawberries