I like to order a spinach salad when I go out to dinner because it feels like I’m ordering something special. However, why wait to go out to dinner to have one? You can make your own spinach salad and enjoy it in the comfort of your own home. The bacon dressing is just right to top off this salad.
Read more about the health benefits of spinach here.
8 ounces young spinach
2 large eggs – hard-boiled
8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large white mushrooms, sliced
3 ounces red onion (1 small), very thinly sliced
- Remove the stems from the spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Remove and peel off the shell. Slice each egg into 8 pieces and set aside.
- Fry the bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Transfer the fat to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss.
- Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine.
- Divide the spinach between 4 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Consider adding toasted almonds or walnuts halves for extra crunch, if desired.
- Not sure how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg? Find out here.
Yield: 4 servings as an appetizer salad or 2 servings as an entre salad
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy: Alton Brown Show: Good Eats, Episode: American Classic 1: Spinach Salad.