Here’s a salad in an edible bowl of lettuce. At only 177 calories per serving and 12 grams of protein per serving, this is a healthier alternative to a BLT sandwich. The bacon and blue cheese add just enough of a treat to keep you interested.
4 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 slices (2 ounces) Canadian bacon, diced
1 head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed and discarded
4 oz. smoked deli turkey breast slices, sliced into bite-size pieces
1 large beefsteak tomato (about 3/4 pound), cored and cubed
1/2 large peeled avocado, pitted and cubed
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
8 tsp. crumbled blue cheese
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and pepper; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon until crisp (5-6 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon from skillet; pat with paper towels.
- Carefully separate 8 large leaves from lettuce head (do not tear) to use as wraps; reserve remaining lettuce for another use.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf inside another to create 4 (2-layered) wraps; fill with about 1/4 cup turkey breast, 1/4 of the cubed tomato (about 1/4 cup), 1/4 cup cubed avocado, and 2 tablespoons diced onion.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon reserved dressing; top with 1/4 of the crisped bacon and 2 teaspoons crumbled blue cheese.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Consider using low-fat blue cheese or a low-fat shredded cheese to reduce the fat content.
Yield: 4 servings of one lettuce wrap per serving
Source: http://www.health.com, by Adeena Sussman – Health