I recently blogged about a lecture I attended on Super Foods. I promised to share three recipes from that lecture using Super Foods. This Coconut Dark Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn is the third of those three recipes. The Super Foods used in this recipe are the coconut (oil and flakes) and the dark chocolate.
I enjoyed this popcorn because it is crunchy and sweet all in one snack.
1/2 cup popping corn
2 Tbsp. organic virgin coconut oil
Sea sat to taste
1 cup coconut flakes, sweet
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, melted (about 2 minutes in microwave)
- Pop the corn”
- Using an extra large stock pot, or popcorn popping pot add coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Drop in 2-3 kernels and cover pot with lid
- When you hear the 2-3 testers pop, add the rest of the corn and shake.
- Continue shaking until the popping slows down.
- Take off heat and shake a few more times until the popping stops.
- Transfer popcorn to a large baking sheet.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Sprinkle popcorn with coconut flakes.
- Drizzle popcorn with dark chocolate.
- Let the popcorn site on the pan until the chocolate hardens, about ten minutes. See photo below.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions
- You can use pre-popped corn (approx 32 ounces) rather than popping the corn yourself. This takes care of step 1. Pick up with step 2.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Larry Bauld, Culinary Instructor