Here is a great way to use summer’s vegetable bounty. Grill some fresh veggies and wrap them in a whole grain flat bread with hummus and you have a healthy and delicious meal. With this recipe, you can use any of your favorite vegetables to customize the wraps for you and your family – the sky is the limit!
4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 (12-ounce) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/8 sp. kosher salt
1 (8-ounce) container plain hummus
4 (1.9-ounce) whole-grain flat breads
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush onion, bell pepper, and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from pan.
- Add eggplant to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from pan; coarsely chop vegetables.
- Combine vegetables, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, parsley, and salt; toss to combine.
- Spread 1/4 cup hummus over each flatbread, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges.
- Divide vegetables over each flatbread; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Roll up wraps, and cut diagonally in half.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- If you don’t have a grill pan, you can use a saute pan, or a tabletop grill or outdoor grill.
- This would also be a great breakfast wrap, with the addition of scrambled eggs.
- I wouldn’t mind some sliced zucchini and maybe some mushrooms in this wrap.
- I am not a huge feta cheese fan, so I used only 1/4 cup, just enough to add some zest.
Yield: 4 servings of 1 wrap each