Isn’t everything better with bacon? Give this baked beans recipe a try. It is a great side dish to most any grilled meat.
1 large onion, diced
2 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans
3 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 pound bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, mix onion, pork and beans, mustard, maple syrup, light brown sugar, ketchup, and lemon juice.
- Top with the bacon pieces.
- Bake, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Other reviewers mentioned that the beans turned out runny because they were covered during cooking. I removed the cover for the last 15 minutes, which seemed to help, but they were still not as dense as I would have liked. Next time, perhaps I will uncover them much earlier.
- I recommend cooking the bacon first and placing it on paper towel. This will drain off some of the fat, and will not only make this healthier, but will also remove some of the extra liquid (grease). Then, mix the bacon pieces in with the beans, so they don’t dry out during baking.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, recipe courtesy Paul Deen