Radishes are an edible root vegetable. Although the bulb is the most commonly consumed part of the vegetable, their leaves may also be served as a sautéed side dish. In this recipe, the bulb root is sliced and tossed with sliced onion, mustard, honey, sugar, oil and vinegar to make a crunchy slaw. Try it as an alternative to a lettuce salad.
1 red onion
1 bunch radishes
4 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
8 ounces thinly sliced snow peas
- Thinly slice red onion and radishes.
- Soak in ice water, 5 minutes; drain and pat dry.
- Whisk rice vinegar, Dijon mustard, and sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk in vegetable oil and sesame oil
- Add thinly sliced snow peas, onion and radishes.
- Season with salt.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- You may be tempted to add pepper to this salad – don’t do it! Radishes already have a peppery taste.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, Courtesy: Food Network Magazine, photo by: Antonis Achilleos