In a recent Food Mingle Blog Poll, we asked you about your favorite Independence Day dessert. With an overwhelming majority of the votes, THE WINNER IS: Strawberry Shortcake with Ice Cream. Honestly, I expected Apple Pie to win, so this is a bit of a surprise.
Thanks to everyone who voted. You can see the final poll results here. If you aren’t happy with the winning Independence Day dessert, then you should have voted (or told your friends to vote). 🙂 You”ll have an opportunity to vote in more Food Mingle Blog Polls in the future.
As promised, here is the recipe for the winning Independence Day dessert – Strawberry Shortcake with Ice Cream.
1 quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick™ Mix
2/3 cup milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup whipping cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms.
- On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high-speed until soft peaks form.
- Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream on the side.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- If you are in a rush, or just don’t feel like turning on the oven, you can use pre-made angel food cake in place of the shortcake.
Yield: 6 servings