Here’s a fun way to dress up boring hot dogs – add cheddar cheese into slits in the hot dogs and then wrap them with bacon. Perhaps this recipe should come with a referral to a cardiologist?
8 hot dogs
4 slices Cheddar cheese
8 slices bacon
8 hot dog buns, split
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Cut lengthwise slit in each hot dog, cutting almost but not quite to other side.
- Cut each cheese slice into 4 strips; insert strips into openings in hot dogs.
- Wrap each hot dog with slice of bacon; secure with toothpicks.
- Place hot dogs on grill over medium heat.
- Cook about 10 minutes, turning often, until bacon is cooked.
- Add buns, cut sides down, to grill for last 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted
- Place cooked hot dogs in toasted buns and remove toothpicks.
- Serve immediately.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Lighten up this recipe by using turkey hot dogs and/or turkey bacon.
- A bit of plain yellow mustard was the perfect condiment for this hot dog.
Yield: 8 servings