Did you know that avocados are sometimes called alligator pears? It’s true! Due to the bumpy skin and shape, they have that strange nickname. Also, avocados will not ripen on the tree – they must be picked to ripen.
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 lemons, juiced
8 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup minced parsley
- Slice the red onion and put it in a bowl with the lemon juice.
- Dice the avocado, add it to the bowl, and toss well to coat.
- Add the olive oil and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving stir in the parsley.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Consider grilling the avocado first, with a little olive oil. The recipe does not list it, but several commenters on the website did mention it. I used very ripe avocados and did not grill them and I thought it was still great.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy: Michael Chiarello, Show: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello, Episode: Tacos and Margaritas