Looking for new ways to use the bounty from your summer garden or farm market? Try this unlikely combination of broccoli and red bell peppers for a change of pace.
3 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
- Heat 6 cups water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan.
- Add broccoli.
- Heat to boiling; boil uncovered 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper to saucepan.
- Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Drain; remove vegetables from saucepan.
- Add butter to saucepan.
- Cook garlic in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Return broccoli mixture to saucepan; toss to coat
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- This dish could have used more flavor. Next time I would add grated cheese on top or maybe fresh basil.
- Consider steaming the vegetables rather than boiling them – this will help them keep their color and nutrients.
Yield: 6 servings