How about a cup of hot spiced apple cider? It’s just the thing to warm you up on a chilly Fall day. This recipe calls for two cinnamon sticks. When you are done simmering the cider, don’t throw away those cinnamon sticks! Cinnamon sticks can be used several times before they lose their flavor. To reuse your cinnamon stick, rinse it under hot water then allow it to dry. Before you use it again, run it over a grater a few times to release the flavors. You can do this a few times before you need to discard your stick.
2 tsp. whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange peel
One 64-ounce bottle apple cider
2 cups orange juice
- Place the cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and orange peel on the cheesecloth.
- Pull the corners up, and tie with kitchen string to create a spice bundle.
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the cider, orange juice and spice bundle.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove and discard the spice bundle before serving.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Use more or less orange juice to vary the taste to your liking. Or, substitute cranberry or pomegranate juice for part of the orange juice for a flavorful alternative.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Source: www.foodnetwork.com, Courtesy: Paula Deen and http://www.thegreenbacksgal.com