Why not mix things up and have breakfast for dinner? This recipe takes a classic steak and eggs breakfast and serves it up in a easy-to-eat tortilla. And, you can eat it on the run!
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. hot sauce
2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, julienned
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Two 8-ounce New York strip steaks
6 large eggs
Four 12-inch sun-dried tomato tortillas
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Mix the sour cream and hot sauce, and set aside for later use.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and cook, stirring only occasionally, until deep brown and caramelized, 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large, cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the steaks liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak until super caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Rest the meat for 10 minutes.
- While steaks are cooking, whisk the eggs with a couple pinches salt and pepper.
- Quickly scramble the eggs until slightly firm. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the rested steaks, removing any large pieces of fat.
- On a flat tortilla, sprinkle layer of gruyere, then add some sliced steak, scrambled eggs and finally some caramelized onions.
- Roll up, brush with a little vegetable oil and griddle for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with a sidecar of the prepared sour cream.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Substitute other meats for the steaks if desired: bacon, sausage and ham are all good options.
- Gruyere cheese can be overly tangy for some people’s tastes. If that’s you, consider substituting other cheeses, such as cheddar, provolone or feta.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Jeff Mauro, Show: The Kitchen, Episode: It’s Dad’s Day with Rachael Ray