There’s nothing like cheese and potatoes to make you feel warm and cozy. Add some ham and you’ve got a great one-pot meal.
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 lb. round white potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 lb fully cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 cup shredded American-Cheddar cheese blend
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pint (2 cups) half-and-half
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook garlic in butter for 1 minute, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in potatoes, ham, cheese, flour and pepper.
- Pour half-and-half over the potato mixture and mix well.
- Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- If I was serving this to company, I would add some peas at the end, just to add some color and texture.
- You may want to put the cooked mixture into a baking dish and put it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the top layer.
- I wanted to make sure that the flour incorporated into the mixture well, so I mixed it with the half-and-half, before pouring it over the potato mixture.
Yield: 6 servings