This recipe combines so many of my favorite things: cheese, pizza, meatballs, marinara sauce. It’s dreamy! (Yes, I said dreamy.) Can’t choose between a meatball sub versus a deep dish pizza? No problem; combine them and get the very best of both in this Deep Dish Meatball Pizza.
1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for pie plate
12 ounces pizza dough, thawed if frozen
4 ounces ground beef (90% lean)
1 Tbsp. plain dried breadcrumbs
Coarse salt and pepper
1/4 cup marinara sauce
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan, divided
2/3 cup shredded whole-milk mozzarella
Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with olive oil.
- Stretch dough to an 8-inch round, then press into bottom and up sides of plate. If dough springs back, let rest 5 minutes before continuing.
- Combine beef, breadcrumbs, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spread marinara over bottom of dough, then top with half of each cheese.
- Crumble meat mixture over dough.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Drizzle pizza with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until cooked through and crust is crisp and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- If you have read my blog for a while, you might guess that I would most definitely add mushrooms to this pizza.
- If your ground beef is not as lean as you might like, then you can drain off some of the rendered fat before you crumble it over the pizza dough.
Yield: 4 servings