An egg cream is a frothy, indulgent drink that tastes similar to an ice cream soda. It contains neither eggs nor cream. You can celebrate National Egg Cream day in the United States on March 15th. Until then, practice making this fun drink with the recipe shown here.
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. boiling water
1/2 cup very cold nonfat milk
1-1/2 cups seltzer water (not club soda)
1 pretzel rod
- In a small cup, mix together the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Add the water and stir well until a paste is formed.
- Put the milk in a tall fountain glass.
- Slowly add the seltzer water.
- Stir gently.
- Drizzle the chocolate syrup in slowly, being careful to disturb the foam as little as possible.
- Stir gently with a tall spoon.
- Your drink should be two-toned, chocolate-brown on the bottom with white foam on top.
- Serve with a pretzel rod.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Use a chilled glass to heighten the fountain drink effect.
Yield: 1 serving
Source: http://www.finecooking.com, courtesy: Ellie Kreiger from The Food You Crave