French bread, lots of cheese and three kinds of mushrooms! What’s better than that? This hearty and filling meal is a snap to make and tastes great too. Use your day old french bread for a crusty pizza.
8 large portobello mushroom caps
1 pound button mushrooms
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
1 bay leaf
4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves, 4 sprigs stripped and chopped
1 loaf crusty French bread, 24 inches
3 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Heat a deep skillet with extra-virgin olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- When butter melts into oil, add bay leaf, garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are dark and tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add wine.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, eyeball the amount.
- Shake the pan and add the Worcestershire and thyme.
- Turn off heat.
- Preheat broiler and split the loaf lengthwise and across.
- Hollow out a bit of the soft insides (set aside)
- Toast the bread lightly under broiler.
- Fill bread with mushrooms evenly then top with cheese liberally.
- Place under broiler and melt cheese until it browns and bubbles
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and turn off the broiler.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Use the bread from the inside of the loaf for croutons.
- Add some tomato sauce to make this a red pizza, if desired.
Yield: four 12″ french bread pizzas
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy: Rachael Ray, Show: 30 Minute Meals, Episode: Movie Marathon