How about breakfast for dinner? This breakfast pizza is just the thing for a new dinner idea, or a twist on a weekend brunch. Just like any pizza, you can use your favorite toppings to customize it to your own tastes.
1 prepared thin pizza crust (about 10 ounces)
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
8 large eggs
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and squeezed dry, reserving 1 tablespoon of the liquid
1 cup chopped onion, about 1 medium onion
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush the pizza crust on both sides with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place crust directly onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, break the eggs into a bowl and add the reserved spinach liquid.
- Whisk eggs well and season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to a 10-inch skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the dry spinach, breaking up the pieces, and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the vegetable mixture into the eggs and beat it well to distribute the spinach evenly.
- Turn the heat down to low and pour the egg mixture back into the pan.
- Gently stir the eggs until they are just set and still moist, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the egg mixture evenly onto the baked pizza crust and top with the cheese.
- Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I also added sliced mushrooms and minced garlic for added flavor.
- Next time, I would bake the crust for a bit less time – after baking it for 10 minutes and then returning it to the oven with the egg mixture, the crust was a touch overdone.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: http://www.foodnetwork..com, recipe courtesy of George Duran, Show: Ham on the Street, Episode: Breakfast in America