This salad is full of hearty ingredients including white tuna, chickpeas, cucumbers and tomatoes. Use it as a side salad with your favorite sandwich or as the main entrée.
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 12-ounce can solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Kirby cucumber, seeded and chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 pieces pita or naan bread
1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- Make the dressing: Whisk the mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well blended. Whisk in the dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
- Toss the tuna, chickpeas, cucumber, scallions and tomatoes with 1/4 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of the pita with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side. Cool slightly and cut into wedges.
- Toss the romaine with the remaining dressing and divide among bowls.
- Top with the tuna salad and serve with the grilled pita.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- I substituted a brown mustard for the Dijon, as a matter of preference
Yield: 4 servings