Here’s a hearty chili recipe, using turkey and beans, with peppers and tomatoes. I like that it’s chunky and filling, but not too heavy.
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced, plus 2 tsp. sauce
1 pound dark ground turkey meat
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges
1 small red onion, diced
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion and bell pepper until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add chipotle and adobo sauce and cook for 1 minute.
- Add turkey, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and beans.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes (add water to adjust consistency).
Season with salt and serve alongside garnish.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Feel free to add your favorite beans, or substitute them for the red kidney beans.
- In stead of 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, I used one chipotle pepper and 2 cloves garlic.