Instead of spending your money on fancy flavored oils, why not make your own?
12 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
2 pinches of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Place the garlic in a small saucepan with the olive oil and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut large strips of zest from each lemon and add it to the garlic oil.
- Add the red pepper flakes and salt and allow the oil to sit at room temperature until the flavors are infused.
- Store the oil in the refrigerator.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- As an alternative to lemon, you could instead use orange or grapefruit.
Yield: 2 cups
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy: Ina Garten, Show: Barefoot Contessa, Episode: Market Day