Salad for breakfast? Why not? We often have breakfast for dinner, so salad for breakfast sounds like a perfectly fine idea as well. By adding kale, romaine, apples and grapes to your granola, you are amping up the nutritional value and the taste. The best of both worlds!
1 small head kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces, or 8 cups baby kale
2 Tbsp. virgin or extra-virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds, optional
1 tsp. honey
1 heart of romaine, cut into bite-size pieces
2 Granny Smith apples, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup green grapes, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup of your favorite granola
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- Put the kale in a large bowl
- Add the juice of 1 lime and a large pinch of salt, and rub the juice and salt into the kale with your hands. Let sit in the refrigerator overnight to tenderize.
- Melt the coconut oil in a microwave-safe small bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between.
- Whisk the oil with the yogurt, 1/2 the zest and all the juice of the remaining lime, 2 tablespoons water, vinegar, flaxseeds if using, honey and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Add the romaine, apples, grapes, granola and parsley to the bowl of kale.
- Toss with the dressing to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt if needed.
- Divide among 4 serving bowls, and serve.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- Step 2 seems to require a lot of planning – I didn’t have time to wait overnight, so I let the kale site for about an hour in the refrigerator. I’m not sure that it was tenderized at all, but it did taste good.
- I loved the crunchy texture of this salad, as well as the tartness from the apples.
Yield: 4 servings