It’s almost strawberry season! Here’s a fun way to serve this sweet fruit – stuff them with your favorite yogurt and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Nice! Here are some fun facts about strawberries from our friends at Country Living:
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen each Spring
- Each strawberry has an average of 200 seeds.
- Strawberries are considered members of the rose family and give off a sweet fragrance.
- As perennials, they will grow back year after year.
- Don’t rinse cut strawberries under water until just before you are ready to eat them because it speeds up the spoiling process.
- There is a museum in Belgium dedicated to strawberries.
- Strawberries are grown in every US State and Canadian province.
So go ahead and enjoy strawberries year round!
12 large strawberries
1 container (5.3 oz.) yogurt
Miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips, if desired
Grated orange peel, if desired
- Wash and pat strawberries dry.
- Using small melon baller, scoop out the green top of each strawberry.
- Spoon yogurt into center of each strawberry.
- Sprinkle miniature chocolate chips and/or orange peel on top of strawberries.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to two hours before serving.
Food Mingle Blog Alternatives and Substitutions:
- The original recipe called for Yoplait® Greek tangerine yogurt. However, I used a store brand of strawberry yogurt, to enhance the strawberry flavor. Use your favorite yogurt.
- A note following this recipe advised to remove the hulls of the strawberries after rinsing to avoid water-logged berries. I think that’s a great hint, so I am passing it along.
- No melon baller? No problem – use a small paring knife instead.
- How about serving with chocolate sauce for dipping? Yes!